"Oh, what a lovely day to have a slice of humble pie"

Well, I'm back in the big city. It's sunny, it's hot, it's Seattle in the summer; I adore this town.

I hit up the (slightly early) Bastille Day celebrations at Seattle Center this morning with my friend Nathan. It was actually pretty busy! Lots of great things going on; I tracked down a galette and a couple of delicious macaroons and was able to speak a bit of French with one of the Seattle-Nantes Associations ladies that we met in Nantes. Great success!

Speaking of macaroons, my mom found a recipe for them in the newspaper several weeks ago and we decided to try to make them yesterday afternoon before I left town. Indeed, my mother and I made authentic and quite tasty French macaroons (almond-cinnamon-cardamom flavor)! Wow. It was a messy production, but they turned out just perfect.

A few things that I observed during my time at home:
1) People always ask me if I've heard such-and-such song and I always say, "No, I don't listen to the radio". That's a bit abnormal, right? Well, I re-realized why I don't conform to radio listening. I drove around a lot over the past week and I listened to the radio the whole time as an experiment. What did I re-discover? Radio stations play 8 songs total and they put them on a loop so you hear all 8 at least five times in one day. Why don't you hear them more? Because they also play 20 minutes of commercials after every two songs. It's a slow process. Results? I'm sticking with Pandora and recommendations from friends.
2) I don't like the way I come across to people sometimes because I have no mental-verbal filter. Most of the time, I don't stop to consider the potential responses to my comments. So, I say something, and then I think about it after the fact and realize that I probably sounded like a stuck-up jerk. Not the kind of impression I'm excited to leave. Filtering my speech; another thing I'd like to work on this summer. Oy.

Goals for the week: Sunbathe in the Quad and/or at Golden Gardens and find a photo adventure!

Comments