Labor Day Weekend, 2011

I had the best Labor Day long weekend EVER!!! First off, it was amazing to have a three-day weekend, of course. But, I was outside and exploring all sorts of new places, which is always amazing. Roomie K, Roomie S, Roomie S' boyfriend, and I went out to Roomie K's parent's cabin on Lake Cavanaugh and swam, cruised around the lake, and barbequed all day on Saturday. On Sunday, Roomie K and I went backpacking and hit the Park Butte trail in the Mt. Baker National Forest. Hoooooly crap, it was the most amazing hike I've ever been on! It was 3.5 miles at a pretty good grade the whole way; the hike ends at the Park Butte Lookout on the very top of this awesome ridge that's right in front of Mt. Baker at about 5,400 feet. We were the first overnighters at the lookout, so we totally snatched it to stay in! It's a 14' x 14' building with an old rickety bed, some cooking supplies, table & chairs, and a 360-degree catwalk from which you can see Baker, the Cascades, and all the way out to Bellingham Bay.
I N C R E D I B L E!
The most unbelievable views I've ever seen. We had a great night hanging out on our abode on a ledge. It was crystal clear all day and all night. We woke ourselves up at 2:00AM to look at the most breathtaking array of stars I have ever seen. We hiked out the next morning and treated ourselves to pizza and beer for lunch in Sedro-Wooley on our way back to Seattle. Definitely the only way I wanted to spend my weekend; it literally could not have been a better three days. I had a great time at the lake, a fantastic time at the mountain, and I got crazy-awesome pictures to boot!







P.S.- Roomie K, new Roomie A, and I are all moved into our new place! Commuting to work can be either by bus or by bike on the Burke-Gilman Trail. Amazing! It's a great spot, I'm really happy with it. I travel to Arizona for work in about three weeks, and hopefully I'll get to see Kris sometime in October after he gets off the boat and back from the Arctic. All is very well and I couldn't be a happier camper, literally and metaphysically. :)

Comments