Recent Happenings / Brief Thoughts on China

Whoa, I feel like I'm still all over the place! So many things to do every day. I'm officially back into school and work in Seattle, and things are going fine, but my time is constantly occupied. Here's basically what's been going on lately:

I put in my two weeks at the pizza place! Wahoo!! Man, that felt good. I am so ready quit that job. The extra money was SO helpful this summer, but it's my senior year of college and my nights must be free for socializing, homework, relaxing, whatever the case may be. Huzzah for good times at all times!!

The girls and I are having a GREAT time together!! We went out last Saturday night and hit up Neighbors, the gay club on Cap Hill, and some other random club called Havana or something (we didn't see any official signage), and had a great time just dancing the night away until about 2:30am. SO FUN. We all want to do it again.

On Sunday night, we went to the Compline service at St. Mark's Cathedral on Cap Hill (what was with us and Capitol Hill this weekend??) and listened to the monks chanting and singing hymns. Oh my goodness, I found nirvana. That was so peaceful and amazing! I would love to make a habit of attending that every Sunday. For all four of us, it wasn't even about the religious aspects of it, it's the beauty of the songs and the meditative and centering atmosphere of the chapel and the singing. Just wonderful.

My French class is going well. It's ridiculously awesome to only have one class to think about! I have so much time to do things other than homework! haha. But I am occasionally a bit of a distraction for the other roomies because I'm the only one not at the dinner table studying or reading most nights. I'll get my comeuppance next quarter when I'm taking three literature classes. Boo. Better enjoy this while I can!

A word about the China trip: It's hard to tell people about the trip without the pictures and videos my mom, dad, and I took as accompaniment. People ask me how my trip was, and everything was so overwhelming, I can only say, "It was intense. I'm glad I went, but I never need to visit that country again." They then want a full explanation, which takes an hour and a half, and who has time for that? Let me just say that that country is huge and overcrowded and dirty and headed to hell in a handbasket. The people and the economy and the infrastructure are all sorts of chaotic and unorganized and it just can't last. I am truly glad I went, but boy oh boy, was I happy to get home! The only reason I would return to that country is to pass through it to get to Tibet. Tibet was mind-blowingly incredible. China was HUGE and... interesting. I wouldn't recommend visiting. You could visit much better places. But this is all according to Princess Me, so take it worth a grain of salt. :)

Comments