Birthday week

Op la! This week has been really busy, but really fun.

The excursion to Normandy on Saturday was informative and quite eye-opening, but wow, I was mentally and physically exhausted by the time I got back to my room. It was a long bus ride up there and back from Nantes, and it was difficult at times to take in the scope of everything. 10,000 graves in that cemetary! Unbelievable. It's innately very hard to grasp what what happend on and after D-Day, seeing as it was 65 years ago and I didn't experience any of it, but I'm really glad that going to the museum and visiting the cemetary was one of our daytrips, even if it was kind of an emotional Debbie Downer.

Monday was my 21st birthday, and I had a great day! I didn't have class until 16:00, so I slept in and took my time waking up and getting ready for the day. I went downtown for a while, did some homework, made myself lunch, and even took a nap! After class, I Skyped with Kris for a bit and then headed downtown to Bouffay for dinner and drinks with a good group of friends. We had Thai food and then hit up John McByrne's (typical, haha), and everyone had just the right amount of fun.

Tuesday and Wednesday were mainly spent working on the dossier that I had to do for my culture class, which I finally turned in today (whew!!), but I did have the wonderful, wonderful perk of dinner at Anne-Marie's house on Wednesday night!! Holy crap, Anne-Marie and Andre feed us well -sometimes TOO well! Since it had been my birthday earlier in the week, they had a Gateau Royale for me and the group for dessert (Gateau Royale is the best cake EVER!!!). Anne-Marie gave me the rest of the cake to take home with me, along with the leftovers of the rest of dinner! I'll be fed for a week now! It was so kind, she is such a sweetheart. Dinner at their house is absolutely one of my top three favorite experiences during my time here in Nantes; the company is genuine and wonderful and the food is always so filling and delicious!

I've had so much fun stuff going on this week that I decided to declare my birthday a week-long celebration, even if it's only a one-person party. :) I'll be going to the Symphony again tonight, which is another one of my top three favorites. In addition to all these wonderful events, tomorrow night is the Seattle-Nantes-Jacksonville Sister City Association's annual Thanksgiving dinner, the 11th annual Nantes Christmas Market begins tomorrow (you can bet your booties I'll be going there as often as possible!!), and Sunday is my habitual trek to Talensac for groceries and general French people-watching delightfulness. I love being young, I love studying abroad, I LOVE FRANCE!!!!!!!!

Three and a half more weeks of French wonders await... I can't believe how quickly these past three months have passed!! I'm soaking everything up as much as possible for as long as possible, believe you me.

Comments