Back to the Rockies

Well, shoot... It has been a while. I am fully back in USA-mode and am deep in the midst of the Winter Quarter. It is unbelievable that I only have 16 weeks left in graduate school! There is so much to do, and so little time, but all is well and I have been having a blast catching up with friends, meeting new people, and doin' work at school.

Here are some photos from the New Year to the present, just to catch you all up with the happenings in Washington and Denver: 

Washington:
I was happy to spend Christmas and the New Year in Vancouver (WA) with my parents and sister and brother-in-law. I was also reunited with Scout, our wonderful family cat! Voilà quelques photos:
Happy 2015 from the Tylers!
Scout, my best kitty friend and the bestest pet in allllll the land!
Colorado: 
Once back in Denver, I made a point to quickly revisit a few of my favorite places in town (downtown, the Highlands, South Pearl Street, etc.), and to check out some new spots. Last year, Union Station was under construction for its big renovation. They opened it in July 2014, and I was finally able to stop by and explore! The exterior of the building is classic and gorgeous, and the interior is open, super classy, vibrant, and bustling. I took myself on a coffee date there right after I got back to town and later returned for coffee with an old friend. I think this will be a semi-regular stop among my favorite hangouts in one of my favorite parts of town (downtown & the Highlands). I still need to have drinks at the Terminal Bar!
Coffee, a coconut/chocolate macaroon, and a good (French) book. You can't go wrong!
From a late-night trip to Denver's VooDoo Donuts (I *still* haven't been to the original store in PDX...)
In the middle of the month, I was stoked to go on a hike with a friend near Boulder, on a trail called the Royal Arch Trail. It led to this little beauty, and a fabulous overlook of the city and plains below. Although the hike was slippery and snowy/icy, it was a blast, and our hard work was rewarded afterwards by a huge pile of nachos and a delicious dark beer (ooooh, how I missed Porters and Stouts when I was abroad!).
Another new discovery in town was the Truffle Table, which is a small cheese and wine restaurant in the Highlands. I tried this place out with my friend Sharon (of Edinburgh fame), and we loved it! I later came back with several members of the Geneva crew for their all-you-can-eat raclette night on Wednesdays. Needless to say, we easily broke their record for the most raclette plates devoured by a single group on all-you-can-eat night. Hooray, Swiss/French cheese!! :)
Below, we have a view from the balcony of Denver's Museum of Natural History and Science, which I checked out with my awesome neighbor in late January. Great museums, and excellent view of a most wonderful city!
Since my return, I've enjoyed playing pool a couple of times at the Wynkoop Brewery downtown. There are so many pool tables, and the beers and the employees are awesome. I also checked out the 1-Up arcade bar downtown on the same night as this picture, which serves up tasty brews and hosts a slew of super old-school video games and pinball machines, in addition to skeeball! Perfection.
Working on my pool shark moves.
At the very end of January, I went to see RJD2 play at the Bluebird on Colfax with my neighbor and a good friend from school. What a show! The three of us had a blast running around Colfax before and after the concert, and we had a great time dancing the night away to good music. We even got to meet RJD2 after the show!!
Straight chillin' with RJD2
Also of recent awesomeness was my joyous return to the climbing wall last Friday! It felt soooo good to be on the wall again after seven months. I'm hoping to get back to the climbing gym again very soon!
Finally, a picture of my set-up in the midst of an epic bout of mid-term writing a couple of weekends ago, and an excellent Korbel school swag purchase. Because, grad school. ;)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, that's all she wrote. For now. I will be deleting my Facebook account in a few days (yes, for real, and yes, I'm positive that I will survive), but I will absolutely be keeping up the ol' blog (follow with your Google account for all the updates!), as well as my Instagram account (link on the side, or find me at user name aftonthefrenchie :) ). With Valentine's Day just a couple of days away, there will be more updates very soon! À bientôt!

Comments