Saying "au revoir" to Switz

Three weeks after returning to the States, I'm writing my final post about my six months in Switzerland. It is difficult, if not impossible, to adequately summarize my time in Geneva. To say that it was incredibly fun, valuable, future-altering, heartwarming, bittersweet, full of learning, difficult, full of good people, awe-inspiring, full of adventure, and among the best six months of my life; even all this is an understatement to a large degree.

I am immensely grateful to the universe to have had the opportunities, experiences, and memories that I enjoyed during this trip, and I am even more grateful for all of the wonderful people I met along the way, from old friends in France, to my nine Korbel in Geneva classmates, to my supervisors, team, and fellow interns at the UNECE, to the random people with whom I interacted in the course of my explorations and adventures in Switzerland, France, Italy, Hungary, and the United Kingdom.

Switzerland is a hell of a place, and Geneva is a truly wonderful city. As I sat on the plane on 22 December and departed a country I had come to love deeply in many ways over the course of 193 incredible days, I was surprised by the sense of peace that I felt, and the sense of surety in the knowledge that somehow, someway, and at some point, I'd be back. I'm happy to have returned to Denver, to be reuniting with the rest of my cohort, to be working and finally making a paycheck again, and to be making my way through the last five months of my graduate degree. I take great comfort in the knowledge that even though I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing with my life come graduation in June or by the end of 2015, I'm sure that I'll be back to live in Europe at some point. Maybe very soon, maybe in a few years, but I guarantee that I'll be back.

In the meantime, I have thousands of great memories and photos to keep the experience fresh in my mind. Below are some photos from my final two weeks in Europe: saying goodbye to the UNECE, traveling around Lake Geneva with my parents, enjoying some of my favorite Swiss places and foods, and ringing in the holidays is wonderful Swiss style. Here's to you, Switz. Thanks for adding innumerable beautiful and complex layers to my life and to my love of Europe.

Last days in the Palais des Nations as a UNECE intern
My office :)
My office mates, "cell-mates", my boys!
I was able to attend a TEDx event at the Palais on my very last day of work! Amazing.
One last Wine and Cheese Market night with some of my favs :)
Fête de l'Escalade
Exploring Old Town Geneva with Mom and Dad
Giving Mom and Dad a personalized tour of the UN!
Fondue at Bain des Pâquis (the best fondue in Genève!)
Day-trip to Nyon, CH and Yvoire, FR
Medieval Christmas Festival at the Château de Chillon and the Marché de Noël in Montreux
Two dudes in a camel costume!! haha
The most beautiful Swiss sunset of all, seen over Lac Léman at Montreux.
Switz, you are an etherial beauty. I'll see you again soon. 

Comments