Hiking through the Lavaux vineyards

A week or so ago, some classmates and I decided to go hiking in the Lavaux Valley, a UNESCO World Heritage site just outside of Lausanne that is filled with vineyards on steep hillsides that nearly tumble into Lake Geneva. On Saturday, the six of us decided that the weather was right and that we should check it out. A little unexpectedly, six coworkers of one of my classmates showed up to join us at the train station, and suddenly our group was twelve! No matter, it was adventure time, and adventure time in Europe trumps all other times. I took charge at the ticket counter, making sure everyone had the appropriate tickets, discount vouchers for wine tastings, and that we were all on the correct trains. Whew! It's a good thing I have learned to thrive in those kinds of stressful travel situations over the years, and it's a very good thing I can speak French!! After organizing everyone at the ticket counter, the twelve of us hopped on the train and made it to the town of Lutry without a problem. We took a short break to hit the WC and apply sunscreen, and then we began our beautiful hike. 

I had seen photos of this region, but I had no idea that it would be this gorgeous! We had a perfect day, weather-wise, and enjoyed sun and warm temperatures throughout our journey. The nice weather made for amazing pictures of the vineyards, hillsides, and lovely towns along the way. We even spotted some thunderstorms and lightening flashing across the lake from where we were hiking.
These lizards were everywhere! I love reptiles, and although they were too fast to catch and say
hello to, I did manage to snap a few pictures. :)
Swiss villages are so picturesque.
From our starting point in the town of Lutry, we made our way 11.7 km (7.2 miles) among the vineyards to Rivaz for a wine tasting, and then just down the road to Saint Saphorin for another wine tasting. We each tried five or six regional wines in total, both red and white, and they were delicious! I think I will need to come back and visit this area again, just to buy wine!
As you can tell, the beauty of this region is jaw-dropping. I am so glad we were able to visit! The more I visit the northern end of Lake Geneva, the more I fall in love with the area. I heartily recommend a visit to the Lavaux region if you're ever in Switzerland. The gorgeous views and tasty wines are more than worth the miles to get there.

Comments