Herman Gulch Trail and Idaho Springs

Happy Autumn, everyone!! Today was a lovely segue into the new season: I went hiking (again)! This blog is starting to make it look like just about all I do in Colorado is hike, but I promise, I AM in school and am working and am very busy. All these great opportunities keep coming up to get out of the city on the weekends and see some gorgeous parts of the state while the weather is still relatively nice. How can I resist?!

Today's hike was the Herman Gulch Trail to Herman Lake, a moderately strenuous 6.5 mile out-and-bike route just outside of Bakerville, CO. Although it was overcast, rainy, and a bit cold during the entire middle chunk of the hike, we started and ended our trek with pleasantly warm and sunny weather. Nature also let us take a peak at the beginnings of the leaves changing from green to yellow and red. This really is a fantastically beautiful state. I'm eager to see more of the new season!

And now, some pictures from the day:
Here's Chispa, the cute little pup who joined us on our hike!
At Herman Lake!
Most of our 10-person hiking crew
The views from the meadows were spectacular
A M A Z I N G
The LEAVES!!!!
After completing the hike, ten of us Korbel hikers drove into Idaho Springs, CO to treat ourselves to delicious beers and food. Idaho Springs' main street downtown, Miner Street, is adorable. I'd love to go back sometime to wander through the shops and explore some more!
Funny wall art I saw in a shop window downtown :)
Our post-hike celebration destination!
The Korbel Climb crew, taken by Lena.
In other, unrelated news: School is going very well, although there is constantly so much to read! Work is also starting off well. Being able to work on campus is the best thing I could have hoped for, and the staff and other student employees at the Center for World Languages and Cultures are awesome.

Kris buzzed through town last weekend for a quick 24-hour layover between his business trip in Atlanta and his return to Seattle. We had a fun date night on Saturday and enjoyed watching the Denver Broncos kick some butt on Sunday. :) It was kind of a bummer to have such a super-short visit, but I'll be back in Washington for 6 weeks between my birthday and the New Year, so we'll have lots of time to spend together, which I'm really looking forward to!!

In October, I'm stoked to see three awesome concerts: Citizen Cope, Chris Thile, and City and Colour (so many 'C's!). I love live music and these are all artists that I've been a fan of for a while. I can't wait to see them play their great songs at some quirky old Colorado theaters. :)

And now I'm off to write up a project proposal! Àplus tard, tout le monde!

Comments